Cooper Levenson attorneys Stephanie E. Farrell and Carmelo (Tony) Torraca will present a legal update at the Marine Trades Association of New Jersey (MTA/NJ) Conference & Expo on March 12, 2015 at the Woodlake Country Club in Lakewood, N.J. The attorneys will address issues pertinent to the marina and boat industry in their respective areas of practice. Farrell works in employment law and Torraca represents clients in defense litigation, including cyber liability and marine insurance matters.
Legal Issues: Part I, 10:20 a.m.-10:50 a.m.
Compliance Guidance for Employers
Stephanie E. Farrell
- Part 1 – New Legislation in New Jersey – The Opportunity to Compete Act (effective 3/1/15). Attendees will learn about new restrictions on criminal background checks during the onboarding process for new employees and effective strategies to navigate within those restrictions and avoid costly fines.
- Part 2 – Avoiding Liability under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Fair Labor Standards Act lawsuits and audits by the Department of Labor have been on the rise in recent years and can be devastatingly costly for business owners. This presentation will provide an overview of some of the most basic requirements of the Act in the areas where many employers run aground.
Legal Issues: Part II, 10:50 a.m.-11:20 a.m.
Cyber Security, Business Transactions and Related Insurance Coverage Issues
Carmelo (Tony) Torraca
- Emerging Threats to all Businesses: Cyber Security Breaches, Cyber Crime, and Cyber Fraud
- Cyber Security for Business Records and Financial Transactions
- Risk Management and Best Practices to Protect Customers’ Personal and Financial Information
- Evolving Cyber Crime and Fraud Insurance Policies and Related Issues
Farrell, Of Counsel to the firm, is based in Atlantic City and works with the Employment Law and Hospitality & Casino Defense Practice Groups. Stephanie handles employment law and litigation matters of every type, including claims of discrimination, harassment and retaliation at the agency, state and federal levels arising under a wide variety of employment statutes. Farrell resides in Upper Township, Cape May County, N.J.
Carmelo (Tony) Torraca, a Partner of the firm, is a seasoned attorney with experience in the defense of catastrophic and significant injury litigation arising from passenger and commercial vehicle accidents, boating and marina accidents, construction defects and accidents, and more. Niche markets of focus include cyber liability insurance claims, negligent security cases, and pest management and bedbug liability defense. Torraca resides in Galloway, N.J.
The MTA/NJ Conference & Expo is from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, visit www.mtanj.org.
Cooper Levenson is a full service law firm since 1957, with 75 attorneys and New Jersey offices in Atlantic City and Cherry Hill. The firm has regional offices in Bear, Del., Harrisburg, Pa., and Las Vegas. For more information, visit www.cooperlevenson.com.