Understanding your options for enforcing child support

Child support payments are awarded to enable a custodial parent to afford the basics for a child: food, shelter and clothing. At Cooper Levenson Attorneys at Law, we know how frustrating it can be when a non-custodial parent is delinquent in making those payments. Fortunately, you do have legal options for ensuring that the other party pays.

The New Jersey Department of Human Services notes that any unpaid child support is considered a debt and can be collected or enforced through a variety of methods, including the following: 

  • Withholding income from the person’s paycheck
  • Suspending the person’s driving, professional or recreational licenses
  • Denying the person a passport
  • Intercepting lottery prize winnings
  • Seizing assets such as money in a bank account, stocks or bonds
  • Reporting debts of $1,000 or more to a credit agency, which harms the person’s credit score

In some cases, a judge or hearing officer can issue a warrant to the parent who owes money. This is especially true in situations in which the non-custodial parent fails to show up for a court date or does not abide by a court order. If the warrant is served, the parent could face time in prison.

New Jersey uses a computerized system to ensure that people who owe child support can be tracked. There is a New Hires Directory to which all employers must report new workers within 20 days of hiring. The listing includes the person’s Social Security number, name and address. The directory can be used to assist the state in withholding income from someone who has not made child support payments.

For more information on this topic, please visit our page on securing support payments.

Date Published: February 7, 2017

Written by: Cooper Levenson, P.A.

Leave a Reply