Cooper Levenson Cannabis Industry Practice Group
A growing number of states permit the medicinal use of marijuana with legalization or legalization efforts underway for recreational use of marijuana in these and other states including New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Regardless of its use, the consumption of marijuana is prohibited by federal law and significant confusion exists regarding the interplay between federal and state laws permitting medicinal and/or recreational use of marijuana.
Cooper Levenson attorneys bring extensive experience in guiding clients through every type of matter encountered by cannabis and cannabis related businesses. Using our deep understanding of current and pending regulations, we provide first-class legal services and are a trusted advisor and partner to our clients.
Firm attorneys represented several applicants for alternative treatment centers licenses in New Jersey including one successful applicant. We currently represent others who wish to be ready to present their medicinal and/or recreational applications once additional opportunities arise in New Jersey. Our work with these entities includes regulatory guidance and compliance, corporate organization and licensure, real estate, zoning and other commercial advice.
We also represent New Jersey banking institutions in reviewing and preparing policies and various agreements in preparation for the approval of recreational marijuana within the State and in ensuring compliance with applicable law and regulation regarding their current business arrangements with marijuana related businesses in the region. We counsel these banking institutions on regulatory requirements related to accepting deposits or making loans to marijuana related businesses given federal treatment of marijuana as a Schedule 1 drug, applicable FinCEN guidance, and the federal Cole memo. We also represent non-bank lenders in structuring their investments for regulatory compliance, equity conversion alternatives, and related matters.
As trusted counsel to a number of New Jersey municipalities, we provide advice on whether these municipalities will permit cannabis to be sold, packaged or grown within their borders.
Firm attorneys have been deeply involved in all aspects of the legalization and operation of cannabis related businesses in Nevada having testified before the legislature as the laws were being developed, created and registered complying businesses, represented marijuana entities in financing transactions, prepared applications for approval, represented businesses in contested matters before applicable Nevada authorities and the Courts and provided ongoing representation in day to day matters.
We offer a full array of legal services for retailers, processors, growers, testing facilities, dispensaries and other businesses in, and suppliers to, the cannabis industry.
Cooper Levenson’s pro-business attorneys have been working on issues related to the cannabis industry since 2001. Throughout our more than sixty years of practice, firm attorneys have successfully representing businesses, entrepreneurs and health care facilities in regulatory compliance, tax counseling, business formation, transactional and organizational matters, employment, real estate and zoning, and other areas of law and have deep expertise in working within regulated industries.
Seminars and Articles
- Considerations for Physicians in the Wake of New Jersey’s Expanding Medicinal Marijuana Program”, New Jersey State Association of Medical Staff Services, 26th Annual Education Meeting, April 11, 2019
- Federal Legislation to Aid Cannabis Bankers Advances”, Cooper Levenson Blog, April 3, 2019
- CannaBusiness in South Jersey: Economic Implication and Considerations”, Sound Off for South Jersey, Southern New Jersey Development Council, March 22, 2019
- New Jersey’s Expanding Cannabis Industry,” Law Enforcement Against Drugs Cannabis Summit, March 19, 2019
- Considerations for Physicians and Healthcare Institutions in the Wake of New Jersey’s Expanding Medicinal Marijuana Program”, New Jersey State Bar Association First Annual Cannabis Symposium, March 13, 2019
- New Jersey Cannabis Law Update”, Capaldi, Reynolds and Pelosi Client Update, December 26, 2018
- Banking and Marijuana-Related Businesses,” New Jersey Law Journal, October 2018
- New Jersey Cannabis Updates for CPAs”, New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accounts, Atlantic/Cape May Chapter, October 31, 2018
- Green Rush: What CPAs Need to Know about the Future of Cannabis in New Jersey”, New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accounts, Atlantic/Cape May Chapter, July 12, 2018
- New Jersey’s Medical Marijuana Program,” Southern Chapter – New Jersey State Association of Medical Staff Services, Education Meeting, June 15, 2018
- Sessions Memo Makes Waves for Cannabis Industry,” Cooper Levenson Blog, January 5, 2018
Keep up with the latest news from Cooper Levenson