Jill T. Ojserkis
Location: Atlantic City, New Jersey
Jill Ojserkis is Chair of the firm’s Healthcare Law Practice Group and member of the Tax and Business and Cannabis Law Practice Groups and brings over three decades of in-depth experience to her clients.
Jill’s has a regional health care practice and her experience includes representation of hospitals, health systems, medical staffs, ancillary providers, and individual licensed providers and practices in a variety of matters including health care business transactions (on the formation, buying and selling sides), managed care and technology, entity formation, medical staff/physician relations including fair hearings and discipline, and governance issues.
She also represents health information exchanges and technology companies in a variety of regulatory, transaction and governance matters.
She guides clients through the rapidly changing landscape of healthcare with vigilant oversight and open lines of client communication.
Having served as acting in-house general counsel for over six years at a community health system and for over two years at a faith-based academic medical center, Jill has first-hand knowledge of the complex issues of concern to all types of providers.
Her extensive experience and relationships in resolving these issues have made her invaluable to her clients.
Jill and her Healthcare Practice Group also provide:
- Sophisticated administrative, regulatory, and ethical counsel.
- Client representation before various boards and agencies.
- Transactional, tax, and corporate representation.
- Representation for healthcare clients and others in tax and estates and corporate/transactional and tax and estate matters.
Jill’s strong background in healthcare and her long standing relationships within the industry make her more than an advisor to clients and a trusted team member to their medical, executive and corporate leadership.
In addition to her work within the healthcare sector, Jill also represents a number of nonprofit and for-profit businesses in a variety of governance, transaction and tax matters including formation, buying and selling.
She also represents cannabis businesses in transactional, regulatory and governance matters.
She is admitted to the Bar in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and the U.S. Tax Court.
Jill serves her clients on an array of matters, including:
- Physician/hospital relationships including physician peer review, fair hearings, and credentialing and privileging matters.
- Authoring, reviewing, revising Medical Staff, System and Hospital By-laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures for compliance with the applicable federal, State, Joint Commission, DNV, CMS, CARF and AAAHC regulations and best practices.
- Lead counsel on business transactional issues such as managed care, information technology, practice acquisition, mergers, business entity formation, physician contracts, and practice disaffiliations.
- Formation and ongoing representation of two of the five health information exchanges established under the NJ Health IT Plan as well as the entity created to facilitate data exchange throughout the State of New Jersey and as a gateway to other states.
- Formation and ongoing representation of innovative Pennsylvania health information exchange established by 40 Philadelphia area hospitals/health systems and 3 payers. • Nonprofit issues and tax exemption.
- Counseling on bioethical, guardianship, and consent matters.
- Physician practice formation, agreements, and ongoing representation
. • Pro bono legal services for community-based nonprofit entities.
Jill is a graduate of Boston University, Widener University School of Law, and the University of Miami (LL.M.)
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell* in Healthcare, Trusts and Estates.
- Named to the New Jersey Super Lawyer list**, a Thomson Reuters business, in Healthcare Law, annually since 2012.
- Recognized as an ROI-NJ Influencer in Health Care in 2022
- Recognized as an ROI-NJ Influencer: Women in Business in 2021 and 2022
- Selected by NJ Biz as a “Best Attorney in Healthcare” in 2015.
- Recipient, Chairman’s Award from Coalition for a Safe Community in 2016.
- Inducted into the Atlantic County New Jersey Women’s Hall of Fame in 2009.
- Atlantic County Bar Association’s Benjamin A. Rimm Award for Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year award.
- Atlantic County Bar Association’s Outstanding Service to the Community and Bar Award.
- Greater Atlantic City Jaycees “Key Man of the Year” award.
- Co-author with Laura Navarro, Esq. “Physician’s Handbook” 4th Edition, Chapter 10 – “Physician/Hospital Relationships”, published by the American Health Lawyers Association.
- Frequent lecturer at various NJ State Association of Medical Staff Services annual and chapter meetings including Economic Credentialing, Current Medical Staff Services Practices in NJ, Fair Hearings, and Medical Staff Bylaws, Presenter at American Health Lawyers Association Conference on “The Opioid Crisis, Litigation Risks, and Medical Staff Privileging.”
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association – Health Law Section • Member, New Jersey & Atlantic County Bar Associations
- Honorary Member, New Jersey State Association of Medical Staff Services
- Elected Member of Board of Education and President, Mainland Regional High School Board of Education
- Trustee and former Chair, South Jersey AIDS Alliance
- Member, Executive Women of New Jersey
- Jill formerly served as a member of the Board of Trustees and in various leadership roles within the AtlantiCare Foundation, Miss America Organization, and the Miss America Foundation, East Mountain Hospital, United Way of Atlantic County, the Greater Atlantic City Jaycees, the Atlantic County Economic Development Advisory Commission and the Urban League of Atlantic City
- Jill has a significant pro bono clientele in Atlantic City and the area
- She also volunteers to judge state pageants in the Miss America system.