Lloyd D. Levenson
Location: Atlantic City, New Jersey
Lloyd D. Levenson is Chief Executive Officer of the firm and Chairman of the Casino & iGaming Law practice group, as well as of the Government Services and Cannabis Law Practice groups. Lloyd D. Levenson and the firm have been instrumental in developing and implementing all aspects of gaming law, including the newest developments in online or Internet gaming (iGaming) law, sports wagering legal matters, mobile gaming matters, and pari-mutuel betting issues.
Lloyd D. Levenson is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell* in Casino and Gaming Law, and was named to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list, a Thomson Reuters business, in the area of Gaming Law from 2015 to the present. As an accomplished trial attorney in complex casino regulatory matters, Lloyd D. Levenson is uniquely positioned to address a broad range of industry legal issues, with a client list that includes casinos, sovereign governments, casino professionals and suppliers to the casino industry. He takes on some of the industry’s key cases, from defending his clients in class action suits to winning a landmark Federal Appeals Court case frustrating a gambler’s attempt to avoid millions of dollars in gambling debts.
Formerly an officer and trustee of the International Association of Gaming Advisors (IAGA), Lloyd D. Levenson has served as President and currently serves as a Counselor of this worldwide organization. He also served twice as Chairman of the Casino Law Section of the New Jersey Bar Association. He was selected by the government of the U.S. Virgin Islands to serve as its advisor in the development of casino gaming on St. Croix. He also was chairman of the Gaming Law Committee of the General Practice Section of the American Bar Association.
Lloyd D. Levenson began his career as Assistant Essex County Prosecutor and Chief Trial Attorney for the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office. He also served as Chief Assistant for the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office and, for several years, Lloyd D. Levenson served as counsel to the Atlantic County Chiefs of Police.
His community and philanthropic work is well known in the region and includes:
- L.E.A.D. (Law Enforcement Against Drugs) Board of Directors and Second Vice President
- Member, Board of Trustees for the Southern New Jersey Development Council
- Campaign chairman of the United Way of Atlantic County
- Chairman, American Heart Association’s Southern New Jersey “My Heart. My Life.” 2015 campaign
Awards and Honors
Stockton University established the Lloyd D. Levenson Institute for Gaming, Hospitality and Tourism (LIGHT) in its School of Business. Since 2010, the Institute combines research, training and management components to fill the need for a comprehensive institute to serve a critical aspect of New Jersey’s economy. Additional awards and honors include:
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell* in Casino & Gaming Law
- Elected to The Fellows of the American Bar Association
- Named to the New Jersey Super Lawyer** list, a Thomson Reuters business, in Gaming Law from 2015 – 2020
- Recipient, D.A.R.E. New Jersey ‘Future of New Jersey’ award
- Named to the West Orange, New Jersey Athletic Hall of Fame in honor of his championship basketball career
- Inducted into the Atlantic City Hall of Fame
- United Way Volunteer of the Year Award
- Boys & Girls Club of Atlantic City’s Volunteer Champion award
- “Mainlander of the Year” (2008) by the Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce
- Atlantic City Rotary Club’s 2011 Beacon Award for Vocational Service
- 2012 Spirit of Hospitality Award from the Atlantic City Convention & Visitors Authority
- Recipient of Gaming Industry Leadership Award for his work in various gaming related disciplines.
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers*** in America in Gaming Law 2015 – Present
A graduate of Lafayette College with a Bachelor of Arts degree, Lloyd D. Levenson earned his Juris Doctor from the Georgetown University Law Center, is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and before the United States Supreme Court.
An author of hundreds of articles on gaming law, Lloyd D. Levenson has been a regular columnist for The Casino Journal and the Boardwalk Journal, where “Lloyd D. Levenson’s ‘Life at the Shore’” appeared monthly.
- Setting A Positive Precedent Casino Law Report
- Gaming’s Altered Evolution Tech Trends
- Calculated Risks Tech Trends
- Attaining Sound Regulations Casino Law Report
- Business Minded Casino Law Bulletin
* AV Preeminent®: The highest peer rating standard. Martindale-Hubbell conducts a thorough review of attorneys through a secure online peer review survey where a lawyer’s ethical standards and legal ability in a specific area of practice is assessed by their peers. Read more.
**Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, selects attorneys using “a patented multiphase selection process. Peer nominations and evaluations are combined with independent research.” Read more.
***Recognition by Best Lawyers is based entirely on peer review. Read more about their methodology: Read More