Nicholas F. Talvacchia
Location: Atlantic City, New Jersey
Nick Talvacchia, a partner in Cooper Levenson, P.A., serves as Chair of the firm’s Land Use practice group. He concentrates his practice in land use, real estate development, environmental and economic incentive matters. He works with developers, regulators, healthcare institutions, casinos, hotel operators, and boards of education, among others, providing guidance in obtaining approvals and incentives for a wide variety of projects.
Land Use Approvals
Nick represents national and local companies and individuals in obtaining local zoning and State environmental approvals for residential, casino, hotel, retail, restaurant, healthcare and telecommunications projects throughout New Jersey.
Some projects for which he has obtained approvals include: $180 million hotel/waterpark resort; $6 million, 5,000 sq. ft., convenience store with fueling station; $35.5 million ocean pier and retail entertainment project; 86,000 square foot national chain (outdoor hunting, fishing, boating) retail facility; $2.3 billion, 6.3 million square foot oceanfront entertainment resort; and various health related office parks.
Redevelopment and Tax Incentives
Nick assists his clients in obtaining redevelopment approvals and tax incentives. He negotiates agreements for redevelopment projects with the New Jersey Economic Development Authority (EDA), the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority (CRDA) and local governments for redevelopment agreements and property tax incentive agreements.
He has obtained funding for his clients via a multitude of substantial tax incentives for development projects. Some of his recent approvals include: $38.4 million in Economic Redevelopment and Growth (ERG) incentives for an entertainment complex; $33 million in Grow New Jersey tax credits for a call center; $261 million tax incentives for a resort hotel; $5.2 million tax incentives for restaurant/retail complex; and $4.8 million tax incentives for a retail and health club facility.
Adjunct instructor at Rutgers University, Camden. Taught Legal Foundations of Planning Law, a preparatory course for undergraduate and graduate students seeking careers in land use planning (1995-2005).
- Member, Greater Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce, Economic Development Committee (2014-Present).
- Member, Board of Trustees of Atlantic Cape Community College (2001-2013), Chair (2009-2011), Vice Chair (2007-2008), and Treasurer (2005-2008).
Admitted to practice law in New Jersey and Pennsylvania in 1988.
Rutgers College (B.A. 1981), Rutgers University (M.B.A. 1985), and Rutgers University School of Law – Camden (J.D. 1988 with Honors).
- Speaker, “What CPAs Need to Know about the Opportunities in Opportunity Zones” at New Jersey Society of CPAs Breakfast Briefing, Linwood, New Jersey (2018).
- Speaker, “Chamber Leadership Series: Getting to know the FAA and ACY” at the Greater Atlantic City Chamber, William J. Hughes Technical Center, New Jersey (2018).
- Moderator at the Greater Atlantic City Chamber, Chamber Leadership Series, Casino Update, Atlantic City, New Jersey (2017).
- Moderator at the Greater Atlantic City Chamber, Chamber Leadership Series, Atlantic City, New Jersey (2016).
- Speaker, “New Jersey Land Use Update” at the Lorman Education Services Live Webinar, New Jersey (2016).
- Speaker, “Future of Atlantic City” at the Chamber of Commerce Southern New Jersey Event, Atlantic City, New Jersey (2016).
- Moderator at the Greater Atlantic City Chamber, Economic Development Update Forum, Atlantic City Country Club, Northfield, New Jersey (2016).
- Speaker, “Atlantic City Redevelopment, What Can We Expect Beyond Casinos” at the Annual Redevelopment Law Institute Seminar, New Brunswick, New Jersey (2015).
- Panelist, Urban Land Institute program to discuss the future of Atlantic City at “Strategies for a World-Class Resort City”, Atlantic City, New Jersey (2015).
- Moderator at the Atlantic City Economic Development Forum, Atlantic City, New Jersey (2014).
- Moderator at the Boardwalk Development Forum, Atlantic City, New Jersey (2014).
- Author, “Expanded tax credits & incentives in NJ Economic Opportunity Act”, CL Alert (2013).
- Author, “NJ Economic Redevelopment Growth Grants”, Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal (2012)
- Speaker, Governor’s Conference on Housing and Economic Development, Atlantic City, New Jersey (2012). See video here.
- Co-author, “Atlantic City Is Not Just for Gambling”, New Jersey Law Journal, Nov. 5, 2001.
- Co-author, “Regulating Cell Towers”, New Jersey Law Journal, July 9, 2001.