As Chair of the firm’s Healthcare Law Practice Group, and member of the Cannabis Law Practice Group, Jill Ojserkis brings over two decades of in-depth experience to her clients, both institutional such as hospitals, health systems, medical staffs and ancillary providers, and individual licensed providers and practices. She guides clients through the rapidly changing landscape of healthcare with vigilant oversight and open lines of client communication.
Having served as acting in-house general counsel for over six years at a community health system and for over two years at a faith-based academic medical center, Jill has first-hand knowledge of the complex issues of concern to all types of providers. Her extensive experience and relationships in resolving these issues have made her invaluable to her clients. Although she maintains a general healthcare practice, she concentrates her practice on medical staff/physician relations, health information exchange, transactional matters including managed care and technology, and governance issues for hospitals and medical staffs. Jill and her Practice Group also provide sophisticated administrative, regulatory, and ethical counsel; represent clients before various boards and agencies; and handle a wide variety of other transactional, tax and corporate matters. She also represents healthcare clients and others in tax and estates and corporate/transactional and tax and estate matters.
Jill’s strong background in healthcare and her longstanding relationships within the industry make her more than an advisor to clients. She is relied upon as a trusted team member. Her client list includes hospitals and health care systems, medical staffs, medical groups, individual physicians, ambulatory surgery facilities, and other entities within the care continuum as well as consortiums of providers involved in health information exchange.
She has served as General Counsel to the New Jersey Hotel & Lodging Association for over twenty years.
Jill serves her clients on an array of matters, including:
- Physician/hospital relationships including physician peer review, fair hearings, and credentialing and privileging matters
- Authoring, reviewing, revising Medical Staff, System and Hospital By-laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures for compliance with the applicable federal, State, Joint Commission, DNV, CMS, CARF and AAAHC regulations and best practices
- Lead counsel on business transactional issues such as managed care, information technology, practice acquisition, mergers, business entity formation, physician contracts, and practice disaffiliations
- Formation and ongoing representation of two of the five RHIOs established under the NJ Health IT Plan as well as the entity created to facilitate data exchange throughout the State of New Jersey and as a gateway to other states
- Formation and ongoing representation of innovative Pennsylvania RHIO between 40 Philadelphia area hospitals/health systems and 3 payers
- Nonprofit issues and tax exemption
- Counseling on bioethical, guardianship and consent matters
- Physician practice formation, agreements and ongoing representation
- Pro bono legal services for community based nonprofit entities
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell in Healthcare, Trusts and Estates
- Named to the New Jersey Super Lawyer list, a Thomson Reuters business, in Healthcare Law, annually since 2012
- Selected by NJ Biz as a "Best Attorney in Healthcare" in 2015
- Recipient, Chairman's Award from Coalition for a Safe Community in 2016
- Inducted into the Atlantic County New Jersey Women's Hall of Fame in 2009
- Atlantic County Bar Association's Benjamin A. Rimm Award for Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year award
- Atlantic County Bar Association's Outstanding Service to the Community and Bar Award
- Greater Atlantic City Jaycees "Key Man of the Year" award
- Co-author with Laura Navarro, Esq. "Physician's Handbook" 4th Edition, Chapter 10 - "Physician/Hospital Relationships", published by the American Health Lawyers Association (2016)
- Frequent lecturer at various NJ State Association of Medical Staff Services annual and chapter meetings including Economic Credentialing (2015), Current Medical Staff Services Practices in NJ (2015), Fair Hearings (2017, 2013, 2011), and Medical Staff Bylaws (2013, 2010), Presenter at American Health Lawyers Association Conference on “The Opioid Crisis, Litigation Risks, and Medical Staff Privileging” (2018)
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey, Pennsylvania & Atlantic County Bar Associations
- Member, NJ HFMA, NJ HIMSS
- Honorary Member, New Jersey State Association of Medical Staff Services
- President, Mainland Regional High School Board of Education
- Member, Atlantic County Economic Development Advisory Commission
- Trustee and former Chair, South Jersey AIDS Alliance
Active in the community, Jill formerly served as a member of the Board of Trustees and in various leadership roles within the AtlantiCare Foundation, Miss America Organization and the Miss America Foundation, East Mountain Hospital, United Way of Atlantic County, the Greater Atlantic City Jaycees, and the Urban League of Atlantic City.
Jill is a graduate of Boston University, Widener University School of Law, and the University of Miami (LL.M.). She is admitted to the Bar in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and the U.S. Tax Court.
Click Here to Read Blog Posts by Jill Ojserkis