"We know that you worked diligently to find us the appropriate resources needed to bring our case to an excellent conclusion...We feel that you cared about us personally, while working hard to protect us legally." - Client testimonial
A founding member of Cooper Levenson, Lewis B. April is known as a successful personal injury attorney who obtained settlements and jury verdicts in excess of seven figures. Lewis served as the lead partner in the Plaintiff's Litigation practice group for more than three decades.
Lewis’ practice areas included product liability, personal injury litigation, property damage litigation, motor vehicle accidents, fall-down matters, dog-bite incidents, elder and nursing home safety, employment and harassment claims, legal malpractice, fire losses, and the defense of architects, engineers, contractors, subcontractors and medical device manufacturers.
- Suit against plastic surgeon for malpractice. Case had been rejected by several other attorneys before coming to Lewis. Lewis resolved the case by way of settlement for $750,000.
- Passenger in a motor vehicle whose side was struck by a runaway tractor trailer resulting in multiple surgeries and functionality loss to the dominant right arm and hand on 67-year-old male. Settled for $1,250,000.
- Most tragic case involving the death of two young sisters when a state trooper violated a stop sign. Settled for $2,000,000.
- Tragic automobile accident involving the death of a child with significant injuries to mother and grandmother. Settled for $1,975,000.
- Auto accident involving the death of a 69-year-old woman and injuries to her husband, age 72. Settled for $485,000.
- Obtained after suit a $1,300,000 settlement for a young child with 3rd degree burns in the small of her back.
- Obtained after suit $1,000,000 settlement for a 52 year old female unemployed who was killed by an out of control state troop vehicle. She was conscious only 30 minutes.
- Obtained after suit $850,000 settlement after a jury verdict for a 25 year old injured by state police helicopter backwash. Fractured cervical vertebrae-no paralysis.
- Obtained after $1,000,000 settlement for death of elderly male and injuries to his spouse.
- Obtained after suit $750,000 settlement for municipal street worker struck by a car.
- Obtained after suit $600,000 settlement for elderly male involved in car accident who died in collision.
- Obtained after suit $1,000,000 settlement for elderly female killed in car crash.
- Obtained after suit $985,000 settlement for worker injured in trucking.
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney
- Certified as a Trial Specialist by the American Board of Trial Advocates and the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- President, Vincent S. Haneman American Inn of Court
- Panel member, American Arbitration Association
- Member, Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Member, Fellows of the American Bar Foundation since 2007
- Lecturer, Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Neutral, National Arbitration Forum's Panel of arbitrators and Mediators
- Member, Atlantic County, New Jersey and Massachusetts Bar Associations
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell in Personal Injury Litigation
A graduate of West Virginia University (B.A. 1966) and Suffolk University (J.D. 1969), Lewis was admitted to the Bar in New Jersey and Massachusetts in 1969, the United States District Court, Districts of New Jersey and Massachusetts 1969, the United States Supreme Court in 1975, and Maryland in 1987.
- Danger in Winter Wonderland CL Alert
- The Golden Years: Outliving Our Independence CL Alert