Health Care Law
Healthcare providers of every type - hospitals, health systems, physicians, ancillary providers, ambulatory surgery facilities, diagnostic imaging centers, long-term care facilities, managed care organizations, and others - are members of one of the most highly regulated and complex industries. Healthcare law continues to evolve to adapt to rapid changes and the regulatory, business, tax, technological, social and ethical issues faced.
At Cooper Levenson, we have represented hospitals and health systems, other types of institutional providers, medical groups, individual practitioners, ambulatory surgery facilities, and ancillary providers in the region for more than 25 years. We understand the dynamic landscape of the industry and the complex issues faced by providers.
Healthcare professionals and industry members can rely on the experienced and practical counsel of Cooper Levenson to guide them through the wide array of challenges and opportunities affecting their businesses. Our attorneys have long and distinguished histories as counsel to various types of healthcare providers through experience as outside or in-house counsel. Working with other firm attorneys in a multidisciplinary approach, we regularly provide legal services, a variety of regulatory transactional and corporate healthcare matters on the state and federal level. From structuring joint ventures and strategic alliances to compliance and regulatory law matters, to tax, estate planning, and succession issues for industry professionals, Cooper Levenson attorneys are relied upon as advisors and as valuable team members.
Whether in the hospital or Medical Executive Committee Board room, negotiating complex managed care contracts, drafting partnership agreements, or providing business, regulatory or tax advice, the firm adheres to a principle of quality first. Unique to the firm is the experience of attorneys in providing advice on tax issues. Understanding that few transactions, agreements, joint ventures, etc. are insulated from tax authorities, we view each transaction with particular scrutiny towards these long-term effects.
The Cooper Levenson team handles a broad range of issues affecting the industry, including:
- Corporate Governance including Hospital and System, Medical Staff, Foundation, ASC, Bylaws, Rules and Regulations and Policies and compliance review for CMS, State law, Joint Commission and other regulatory or accrediting entities
- RHIO/HIE Formation and governance and information technology agreements
- Medical Staff matters, professional licensure and disciplinary issues and reporting requirements
- Healthcare transactions of all kinds
- Healthcare joint ventures
- Physician recruitment and retention and physician employment arrangements
- Regulatory compliance
- Mergers, acquisitions and sales
- Bioethical issues, patient rights, guardianships and conservatorships
- Managed care contracting and related litigation
- Employment related issues including counseling, litigation defense, wage & hour, enforcement of restrictive covenants
- Physician practice formation and documentation
- Planned giving and charitable foundations
- Business succession, estate planning and asset protection for physicians and other healthcare executives
Increasingly complex regulations, rigorous governmental oversight, and the ever-present threat of ruinous litigation virtually require those in authority to seek ongoing, comprehensive legal support. In New Jersey, no firm is better equipped to provide that guidance and protection than Cooper Levenson.
As a full service firm with attorneys who concentrate in complementary practice areas such as tax & business law, labor & employment, commercial litigation, defense litigation, land use, and zoning & planning, clients can be certain that they have the full support of all the resources within the firm, should the need arise.